Breakfast breaks through
Restaurant dinner checks may be shrinking, along with patrons’ wallets, but morning people are putting their money where there mouths are. According to The Breakfast Consumer Trend Report published by Technomic, convenience is motivating consumers to trade at-home breakfast occasions for away-from-home purchases.
- 18% of consumers are purchasing breakfast away from home more often than they were a year ago.
- 46% of today’s consumers say they patronize fast-food concepts for weekday breakfasts compared to 33% in 2009
- Breakfast sandwiches are seeing the most growth; limited-service restaurants have added 45 breakfast sandwich items since 2009
- More than 10% of the 1,500 consumers surveyed, and 20% of those aged 18 to34, indicate that they will purchase breakfast more often in the coming year
- About 33% of consumers who purchase breakfast at QSRs strongly agree that these restaurants do not offer enough healthy choices
Source: Technomic, Inc., 2011, The Breakfast Consumer Trend Report