Sandwich Trends: Updating an American Staple
Sandwiches are undergoing exciting flavor and quality upgrades on every level—from breads to fillings and condiments. New sandwich trends are driven by artisan and sustainable ingredients, the desire to eat seasonally and more healthfully, and the celebration of regional and global foods and flavors.
Today’s top trends include:
- The “Fine Fast” Sandwich Shop: Gourmet sandwich shops helmed by chefs featuring high-quality, artisan and locally sourced ingredients, along with a wide range of house-made condiments and toppings.
- The Asian Sandwich Invasion: Chinese bao sandwiches, Vietnamese bahn mi and Indian kati rolls are crossing over and attracting adventurous eaters craving new flavors.
- The Reinvented Jewish Deli: Traditional Jewish delis are re-inventing themselves with more sustainable and ethical ingredients.
- Glamorous Grilled Cheese: This American classic is getting an overhaul with artisan breads and cheeses plus sophisticated flavorings.
- The Great Sandwich Shop Takeover: Fast-casual sandwich and bakery chains are innovating with more healthful offerings, global flavor profiles and local ingredients.
Pulled Pork and Better Burgers: The North Carolina signature pig-inspired sandwich is going national, while the beloved burger explodes with new styles of beef and other meats, a variety of tasty buns and a host of exotic toppings.
Source: Sandwiches: Culinary Trend Mapping Report, from the Center for Culinary Development (CCD) and Packaged Facts; September, 2010